Sunday, September 19, 2004

I recently subscribed to Fredericton's local paper, The Daily Gleaner. After two years of living in this town I figured that it is about time that I get to know what is going on around here. The nice lady on the phone told me that it would start being delivered the very next day. On thursday morning I went straight from my bed to the front door to see if my new paper had arrived. Nothing. I kept checking every half hour all morning. Still nothing. Off I went to school and sure enough when I came home it was lying on the ground of the sun porch. Well for the next three days the paper did not arrive until well after noon. Is this normal? Aren't newspapers supposed to at least be delivered in the morning? After all, the very same issue of the Gleaner is on sale right across the street at 6am! I figured that something must be up with my paper-lady. She seemed rather nice when she came to collect the $1.86 that I owed. Her teeth were really rotten, but otherwise she was rather sweet. I've just checked the FAQ section of the Daily Gleaner and check this out:

Q: When is my paper supposed to be delivered by?

A: Times & Transcript
7 AM Monday to Saturday
Telegraph-Journal
7 AM Monday to Saturday
The Daily Gleaner
5 PM Monday to Friday, 10 AM Saturday

What is up with THAT?!?! 5pm!! That sucks! My favourite part of getting a newspaper is being able to read it when I wake up in the morning. Should I cancel my subscription and just go across the street every morning or just tolerate this bizarre policy of delivery before 5pm? Schnarff. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.